St. Patrick’s Day 2014 is only a week away. There are several local parades happening in Chicago land to celebrate. Last weekend was the Elmhurst parade, other local parade’s are the Forest Park, the downtown Chicago parade and of course the Chicago South Side parade. Everyone loves a parade, and on St. Patrick’s day – everyone is Irish! However, it is also important to be careful and to avoid drinking and driving. According to Trib Local “Too often St. Patrick’s Day can be a deadly and dangerous time on our roadways because of drunk driving”. said Traffic Safety Unit Sergeant Spencer Kroning. “If you plan on drinking alcohol, designate a sober driver before the party begins. Be responsible or risk a DUI.”
The Chicago Tribune, Local Trib also has put together these tips, please read below!
If you are hosting a St. Patrick’s Day party:
• Remember, you can be held liable and prosecuted if someone you serve is involved in a drunk driving crash;
• Make sure all of your guests designate a sober driver in advance or help arrange ride-sharing with other sober drivers;
• Serve lots of food and include lots of non-alcoholic beverages at the party;
• Keep the phone numbers for local cab companies handy and take the keys away from anyone who is thinking of driving drunk.
If you are attending a St. Patrick’s Day party:
• Designate a sober driver before the party begins and give that person your car keys;
• If you do not have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home, call a cab, sober friend or family member to pick you up or just stay where you are and sleep it off until you are sober;
• Never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are about to drive while drunk;
• Always buckle up – it is still your best defense against a drunk driver.
Have FUN this St. Patrick’s Day season, but PLEASE remember to be SAFE!!