A Chicago area resident has been arrested for charges relating to child pornography. In this case, a 77-year-old man was charged with manufacturing child pornography and obstruction of justice. He could be sentenced to up to 30 years in prison for the pornography charge and up to 20 years on the obstruction of justice charge.
According to authorities he was involved in making pornography involving a minor in July 2012. He is said to have convinced the girl to engage in sex acts that he made visual depictions of. Police claim that he tried to destroy the evidence when the investigators executed a search warrant of his home in August of last year.
The man has plead not guilty to the charges. He says that the charges are part of a conspiracy against him as a result of his job as a reporter. He says that he wrote negative things about local politicians and these charges are a set up.
Like all sex crimes, child pornography charges such as these are extremely serious and are often subject to aggressive prosecution. Due to the sensitive nature of the cases, prosecutors often want to show the public that they are tough of these types of crimes. Therefore, invasive investigations are often undertaken whenever anyone is suspected of child sex abuse.
This aggressive prosecution could lead to a situation where people’s rights are not respected. No matter what crime Chicago residents have allegedly committed, they are still entitled to many protections, including the right to have an attorney present during any questioning and the chance to fight the charges in court. Anyone charged with sex crimes should take steps to protect their constitutional rights.
Source: Shorewood Patch, “Joliet Reporter Arrested by FBI Hit With Child Porn Charge,” Joseph Hosey, Sept. 12, 2013